17 Lessons from the 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games Open
O-v-e-r! Score submission is closed, and just like that, the 2017 Reebok CrossFit Games Open is officially over.
As typical of the Open, these last five weeks flew by (perhaps because our bodies were numb for the majority of the time). But now that we've started to gain feeling back in our legs and our ripped hands have begun to heal, it’s important to take a moment and reflect on everything that we've learned and accomplished.
Here are our top 17 lessons!
1. Dave Castro's Instagram “hints” will never actually help you guess the workouts. And yet somehow, they always reflect how wrecked your body feels afterwards.
A post shared by @thedavecastro on Feb 20, 2017 at 3:19pm PST
2. If dumbbells weren’t already a regular part of your workout routine, they will be over the next year. Lesson learned.
A post shared by sherwood215 (@sherwood215) on Mar 7, 2017 at 7:53am PST
3. Friday nights become less about the bar and more about the bar…bell.
The LORD is my strength and my shield. My heart trusts in him. Psalm 28:7 Grateful to have such awesome people around me. They care more about how I do than even I do. Here are the Last reps of 17.3 from Friday night lights. #BeStrong #KryptonStrong #CrossFit #OpenGo @reebok @roguefitness @progenex @mbslingshot @airrosti @themarcpro
A post shared by Ben Smith (@bsmit13) on Mar 13, 2017 at 6:26pm PDT
4. The Britney Spears interview meme accurately describes your reaction to every Open workout. Every. Single. One.
A post shared by The CrossFit Games (@crossfitgames) on Mar 19, 2017 at 1:39pm PDT
5. The simplest movements suddenly aren’t so simple. Cue: box jump fails.
A post shared by Rob Forte (@rob_forte) on Feb 26, 2017 at 12:27am PST
6. Whether it’s by cheering you on, judging for you or competing against you, your friends become your biggest motivators.
17.5 is upon us. That means that this is the last week of #trashtalkthursday open edition and it's shaping up to be an exciting one. I've been trying to keep it close all open so that I can beat @fikowski by just two points again. Will I be successful? Will @scalifit successfully drop 4 straight weeks? Will anyone even remember that @travismfwilliams and @sweeney9586 were even doing this? All these questions and more will be answered this week. I can't wait to see a good old wasabi belly flop, what about you? #wasabiflop #brentandpattogetherforever #inseparable #lasthurrah #sweepscali #crossfitgames #crossfit @crossfitgames
A post shared by Patrick Vellner (@pvellner) on Mar 23, 2017 at 5:14pm PDT
7. But sometimes, it’s the people you’ve never met who inspire you the most.
via @crossfitbelltown CrossFit Belltown Masters (55+) Athlete Lou (@lfernstku76) finishing 17.5 in 39:54 during Friday Night Lights. This is CrossFit. @crossfitgames #crossfitbelltown #InTheOpen #CrossFitGames #17pointfive
A post shared by CrossFit (@crossfit) on Mar 26, 2017 at 9:07am PDT
8. Moisturizer sales are bound to skyrocket during the Open … thank you, 17.2 and 17.3.
A post shared by Camille Leblanc-Bazinet (@camillelbaz) on Mar 11, 2017 at 9:53am PST
9. Pain faces are inevitable; embrace them. It’s what SnapChat was made for.
A post shared by Jennifer Smith (@jensmith008) on Feb 27, 2017 at 8:16pm PST
10. If you didn’t get your first bar muscle-up in last year’s Open, this year presented you with the opportunity to show how far you’ve come.
via @crossfit609 Wild Bill getting his first bar muscle up during 17.2! The whole gym stopped what they were doing and went crazy. #CrossFit #crossfit609 #firstmuscleup #crossfitopen #intheopen #17point2
A post shared by CrossFit (@crossfit) on Mar 7, 2017 at 8:18am PST
11. Some workouts go as planned, some don’t. Either way, you learn.
A post shared by James Hobart (@jameshobart) on Mar 12, 2017 at 6:25am PDT
12. Don't be fooled: “scaled” does not mean “easy.”
A post shared by CrossFit (@crossfit) on Feb 27, 2017 at 10:54am PST
13. You are capable of more than you think, and there’s no better feeling than proving that to yourself.
via @shes_beast1215 ・・・ "Tonight my mom did her first @crossfitgames open! Tonight she got her first step and proceeded to get 10 more after that! #crossfitsaw #crossfit #17point1 #crossfitopen #intheopen @crossfit @thedavecastro"
A post shared by The CrossFit Games (@crossfitgames) on Feb 24, 2017 at 7:03pm PST
14. PR videos – and the epic reactions that ensue when your box watches you achieve them – take over your Instagram feed for five weeks. And they’re awesome!
THIS 🎥 GIVES ME ALL THE FEELS. • 1️⃣: MY INTRO ... ME CROSSING MY FINGERS 🤞🏼, HOPING A MIRACLE HAPPENS SO I COULD MAKE IT TO THE 185# BAR. 2️⃣: HITTING THE 6TH REP AT 175! AAAAHHH MIRACLES HAPPEN. ✨😂 3️⃣: MAKING 185# FOR THE 3RD TIME IN FRONT OF MY @crossfit FAMILY. ☺️ THERE'S NO BETTER FEELING. 💜⚡️🙌🏼 _____________________________________________________ @crossfitgames @misfitcoach @junkbrands @misfitathletics @matt1chan @vanvleetd #17point3 #reebok #stillcantbelieveit #intheopen #lovemygym #crossfit #2poodperformance #bestbelt #rxsmartgear #grips #misfitathletics #sorryfortacklingyouJerald #haha 🎥: @freddycamacho65 💙
A post shared by Chyna Cho (@chynacho) on Mar 12, 2017 at 2:05pm PDT
15. Victory dances always seem to break out. CrossFitters are the best dancers, right?
Finally, a @crossfitgames Open WOD that I am not rolling around on the floor afterwards... Wait for @allymleard dancing at the end, haha! ••• #YouCantHendelIt #CrossFit #Games #Open2017 #Reebok #TeamRCF1 ••• @reebok @nfsports_ @hamplan @teamrcfone @fitvine_wine @fuelforfire @paleopowermeals @rcfmedfield @crossfitcharlotte @reebokcrossfitone
A post shared by Spencer Hendel (@spencer_hendel) on Mar 10, 2017 at 7:13am PST
16. There's no better feeling than taking your shoes off post-workout.
A post shared by Kelley Jackson (@crossfitkelley) on Feb 27, 2017 at 1:30pm PST
17. Madison is getting hyped up.
WHAT A NIGHT! This was an incredible way to close out the 2017 O P E N 🌟 🙌🏼 💛 Madison, you were amazing. Did you guys FEEEEEL the energy?!?! Wowza, I still got chills. 🐯 - #BuiltByBergeron @crossfitgames #17point5 @reebok @ascent_protein @fuelforfire @paleopowermeals @workingagainstgravity @aerobiccapacity @roguefitness
A post shared by Katrín Tanja Davíðsdóttir (@katrintanja) on Mar 23, 2017 at 7:44pm PDT
Have a takeaway that didn't make the list? Tweet it to us @Reebok.