16 Things We Learned from the 2016 Reebok CrossFit Games Open
And just as quickly as it arrived, the 2016 Reebok CrossFit Games Open has come to a close.
Another year, another Open in the books.
Whether you’re advancing to Regionals or are back to your normal training schedule, it’s impossible to finish the Open without reflecting on some of its biggest takeaways (especially given that most of us are still hurting from 16.5).
Here are our top 16.
1. Dave Castro's Instagram “hints” – yes, there’s a reason we put that in quotes – will never actually help you guess the workouts. Ever.
A photo posted by @thedavecastro on Feb 25, 2016 at 8:21am PST
2. When you make it through an entire Open without a single burpee (we’re looking at you, 2015), you’ll pay for it the next year.
A photo posted by Emily Bridgers (@emilybridgers) on Mar 26, 2016 at 6:53pm PDT
3. ...We should all begin practicing our box jumps for next year’s Open now.
A video posted by Conor Murphy (@conortmurphy) on Feb 12, 2016 at 6:03am PST
4. The workouts are never as easy as Games athletes make then look on Instagram.
A video posted by Kara Webb 🐨🇦🇺 (@karawebb1) on Mar 5, 2016 at 1:07am PST
5. The word "judge" takes on an entirely new meaning in the Open. You’re part judge, part cheerleader. Pick a good one and be a good one.
For the past 3 years I have had the honour of having one of the best judges judge me for every crossfit open workout @nick_craigie. You are always making sure I'm right where I need to be and you know exactly what to say when I'm really hurting, you also make @orrsome_photo job much easier. I can't thank-you enough for your ongoing support and encouragement you have shown me ever since I walked through @crossfitgladstone doors. I'm so lucky to have you apart of my #team. I wish you were coming down with me this Saturday to the Gold Coast to judge me for 16.5 #thankyou #community #team #friends #training #open #season2016 #crossfit #encouragment #support
A photo posted by Tia-Clair Toomey (@tiaclair1) on Mar 21, 2016 at 4:05pm PDT
6. 30 pounds doesn’t seem like much … until it comes to squat cleans.
This open has been HARD already! Performing heavy squat cleans after your core is shot is no easy task for ANYONE- especially those of us with a compromised spine. You guys are amazing, and I love your messages of hope and accomplishment through these weeks. Fighting through these workouts just keeps continuing to prove that you are strong, brave, and can handle anything. I ended up failing 4 reps at the final weight because my core was no longer able to handle it. But I fought like hell the whole time and I know you did too. Let's keep fighting together. Onto 16.3 @crossfit @crossfitgames @tryabouttime @goattape @rxsmartgear @reebok video by: @prestonsmithphotography
A video posted by lindybarber (@lindybarber) on Mar 5, 2016 at 5:53am PST
7. Don't underestimate scaling. Scaled Open workouts still hurt like a bitch.
Who else became a Joanna fan last night? Head to the the #CrossFit Facebook page for Nicole Carroll's (@nicole.crossfit) tips on Open workout 16.1 presented by @crossfittraining. Link in bio. #InTheOpen #mainsite
A photo posted by CrossFit (@crossfit) on Feb 26, 2016 at 8:09am PST
8. You know yourself as an athlete better than anyone else. Listen to the tips and tricks from others, but trust your gut.
Great @crossfitgames open workout 16.4 this past week! The open is a special time to prove so much across 5 weeks!! Super inspired by all of you that posted on who inspires you and why! It fired me up so much that if you DM me the screen shot of your post & address and name of that person I will try to send most of you guys some gear!! Tag who you are DM'ing about in this post to let them know they have some goodies coming! #reebok #Care #CrossFit #CrossFitGames @reebok @reebokcrossfitone @crossfit
A video posted by Austin Malleolo (@amalleolo) on Mar 22, 2016 at 3:30am PDT
9. Always have a plan B. If the rep scheme you planned starts falling apart, don’t panic. Resort to an achievable goal and just keep moving.
OPEN WOD 16.2 is in the books... That workout made lifting heavy weights not so much fun... However, if you are the first person to guess my score on this workout, I will send you an autographed pair of @reebok shoes from my personal collection and @reebok will send you an entire outfit of your choosing... Send me your predictions in the comments section of this post and on Monday at 5:00pm, I will announce the winner of this weeks challenge... #YouCantEvenHendelIt #CrossFit #CrossfitGames #OpenSeason #16.2 @paleopowermeals @perfectbar @reebok @nfsports_ @fuelforfire @rcfmedfield @reebokcrossfitone @reebokcharlotte @crossfit @crossfitgames @amalleolo @crossfitcharlotte @erinkh615
A video posted by Spencer Hendel (@spec1414) on Mar 4, 2016 at 3:33pm PST
10. Nothing more accurately described your thoughts each week than the memes on Champlain Valley CrossFit's Instagram.
A video posted by Champlain Valley Crossfit (@champlainvalleycrossfit) on Mar 10, 2016 at 5:13pm PST
11. The leaderboard suddenly won’t matter when you get your first bar muscle-up or PR your squat clean.
The @CrossFit Open is a magical place. It's where you go to PR! All you have to do is sign-up! The chance of doing something you never did before becomes within your control. It pushes you to just 'try it'. Success proven! Year after year after year. There's your research!! @crossfitgames #forgingelitepeople - Thank you for creating this platform. #magical 💫 - Congrats Lauren! 👏🏼 @lcschier
A video posted by Reebok CrossFit ONE RCF1 (@reebokcrossfitone) on Mar 15, 2016 at 5:25am PDT
12. Turning in the piece of paper after you complete a workout isn’t enough. You actually have to submit your score online. There’s always someone at the box who learns that the hard way.
"We can all be pissy about the 14.5 repeat but I cried a little today when my 58-year-old mother hit a major PR. We saved her score sheet hoping it would come back in a future Open." —Alicia Bratton Elliott
A photo posted by CrossFit (@crossfit) on Mar 26, 2016 at 11:17am PDT
13. The past always comes back to haunt you. Cue: 16.5.
A photo posted by Kelley Jackson (@crossfitkelley) on Mar 25, 2016 at 12:25pm PDT
14. The Open workout is the best and worst part of your day … simultaneously.
A video posted by Katrín Tanja Davíðsdóttir (@katrintanja) on Mar 21, 2016 at 10:00am PDT
15. Celebrate the end. Whether it’s with a cheat meal, beer, or just a day of rest, you deserve it.
A photo posted by Reebok CrossFit ONE RCF1 (@reebokcrossfitone) on Mar 26, 2016 at 9:23am PDT
16. The best way to prepare for the Open ... do CrossFit.
The aftermath of my @crossfitgames 16.4 re-do. I got the same score, better tie-break. I cursed (a lot). Kicked my belt to the other side of the room. Put my head in my hands. I was literally 'that' girl! And...blurted out every excuse in the book as to why I didn't do better. 1. I was tired, 2. I didn't strategize correctly - should have pushed harder on the row, and hit a bigger first set of HSPU's, 3. My diamond shoes were too tight. You name it, I said it. But...what it really comes down to is this - my HSPU's need to be better! I NEED TO BE FITTER!!!! My overall fitness needs to be better!! #bottomline #itiswhatitis #checkYOself 🤔#thechalkdidntmakemestrong #data #objectivefitness #CrossFit #ILoveYouLongTime - Thank you for the gigantic slice of humble pie! 🍰 Elegantly programmed workout by @thedavecastro ✔️
A photo posted by denthomas7 (@denthomas7) on Mar 21, 2016 at 8:44am PDT